Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Oh no she didn't!

There comes a time in everyone's life when they should look in the mirror and ask themselves "Am I age appropriate yet stylish?"

Don't worry, I do this often and usually shoot a picture of myself as I do, just to have proof.

I have this client, she has been coming to the salon for 3 years now. She is an empty nester, married, in her 50's and I often wonder if she EVER thinks about age appropriate-ness. She always has me put some off the wall color in her hair (pink, green, purple) and tends to like to coordinate her outfits with the colors.

I mean, think about it, this lady is in her 50's, she could be a grandma! Yet, she sports pink hair like a 19 year old!

I understand the idea of holding on to your youth, and trying to stay hip and trendy... but you should also stay age appropriate and relevant.  I'm not asking for roller sets and perms, because neither of those are stylish or appropriate for anyone of any age. But please, oh please, do not expect me to pretend that you rocking hot pink tips is attractive if you are over the age of 35. Purple, though much more acceptable in my book, also has a fine wavering line for those women who have 75% or more grey hair. This is because of those fashionable old ladies that use the yellow out shampoo everyday and rock a tad bit of purple, on accident...

The good thing about this client is she is reliable. She comes into the salon on a regular basis to get her hair colored. We all roll our eyes and giggle at her outlandish drama and the crazy stories of family troubles that she bestows on us. Her dopey husband, (who, let me say is the example of what this blog talks about) is always the brunt of her jokes and made out to be the bad guy when it comes to the kids, when we all know she is the crazy one. But, she is very regular. I could set my clock by her.

So here, for your reading pleasure is my top ten things that are inappropriate for anyone who is old enough to be a grandmother:
10.    ultra low rise or skinny jeans
9.      tube tops
8.      "urban" designers like Baby Phat, Apple Bottoms, FUBU, etc.
7.      facial piercings
6.      pink, orange, green, blue, teal, yellow hair
5.      thigh high leather boots
4.      exposing too much cleavage (or any body part for that matter)
3.      coordinating bright colored accessories for everything (phone, purse, wallet, car)
2.      swearing like a sailor
1.      wearing Abercrombie, Hollister, Aeropostale, or any other store at which a highschooler would shop in

Please take notes. Remember this when you are older, and the way you react when you see someone violating these rules. It will only be better for society!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I'm thinking that at least half of the things on that list could be considered inappropriate for most people (in particular 9, 4, 2...and probably 1 ;).

    That being said, I really need to rock some pink hair before I am too old. A 25 year old mother of two can have a little fun with color, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa... of course! Especially since you are having a girl (right?)

    ReplyDelete